Thursday, August 23, 2012

Skyscraper Modular Kit [WIP]

I started work on a skyscraper modular kit. A lot of planning went into this before getting my hands into any sort of modeling/texturing or material making.

So far it's using a master material to generate the different tile and window patterns. The material is pretty much all procedural using a small 128x256 texture that I used to generate different patterns from using the RGBA channels. With this I was also able to mask out areas in order to designate different paramaters. For example I can designate how much reflection I want, the tiling amount I want, the color of the windows and strips and the color of the grid among other parameters using material instance constants.

I also managed to generate different patterns of tonal variation in the grid using another texture (16x32) also using the RGBA channels in order to add some medium-level detail. 

I am now in the process of adding some procedural finer detail/noise for up-close shots. I am saving A LOT of texture space using this master material and plan to keep this an extremely space efficient kit. 

Here's the Emirates Office Towers reference I am working from:


No comments:

Post a Comment